IHIF Berlin, Germany (05.23)
For the first time in four years, our man Phil flew the Whitebridge flag at IHIF. It was good to be back and his take-away nuggets are listed below.
- I was told that the 2023 event had over 2,500 registered, fee-paying delegates and by my estimate probably a similar number on the fringe (judging by all the side events and meetings I had), so virtually back to pre-C19 levels. Well done IHIF.
- Mood music was caution, given high inflation, rising interest rates and increasing economic uncertainties. Bottom line, very few transactions at the moment.
- Operators were out in force and were busy selling their services. A big recipient was no doubt Saudi, whose Invest in Saudi stand was by far the largest at the InterCon (occupying an entire hall).
- Chats with valuers revealed that they are perhaps not as busy as envisaged. Evidently many folk are not keen to know values at the moment.
- Uncertainty likely to last into 2024.
Thanks to all the local hotels and coffee shops for the use of your spaces and hospitality, and see you all again in 2024, when hopefully the mood music will be a bit more upbeat.